Where to Stay in Melbourne: Best Areas and Hotels
If you’re wondering about where to stay in Melbourne & where is the best area to stay in Melbourne for the first time, families, nightlife, shopping, near beach/airport, on a budget, you are in the right place. This article will give you an insight into the best place to stay in Melbourne.
Voted the most liveable city in the world year after year, it’s truly a beautiful city, with countless things to do and see. The city is known for its great public transport system, excellent nightlife, world-class coffee and artistic vibe. Melbourne is Australia’s second-biggest city and I believe it’s must-visit.
Where to Stay in Melbourne: Tips & Info
If you are looking for the perfect place to stay in Melbourne that will suit your budget requirements, interests and logistics, then a great place to look is booking.com. You can scan around the area and use filters to search for your perfect budget.
Booking.com allows you to filter everything from room type to hotel facilities. A lot of this is a personal choice, but after reading this article, it is a good idea to decide on which sounds the best for you or your family.
And then you can head over to websites like Booking.com, Hostel World or Hotel Trivago and filter through the various options to suit you. Melbourne is such a diverse, cosmopolitan city that deciding which area is the best place for you can be tricky.
As a young traveller, I would choose either the Southbank or the CBD because it’s close to all the attractions and nightlife, but if you have a family and dislike busy areas, then you might prefer somewhere quieter like the docklands. I hope the following tips will help you to choose where to stay in this great city.
Where to Stay in Melbourne Australia – Best Area to Stay in Melbourne
The following section will give you a guide on Melbourne’s top ten places to stay. I have chosen all different types of areas in the city that cater to different budgets and other interests. Melbourne is a backpacking hub and has hundreds of hostels, but also a vast list of everything from budget hotels to world-class hotels.
This guide will help you make your decision on where to go on your visit.
Where to Stay in Melbourne Australia – 10 Best Areas & Neighborhoods
- St. Kilda Beach – Best Area Close to CBD
- Melbourne CBD – Best Area for the First Time Visitors
- Fitzroy – Best Area for Hippies
- Richmond – Best Area Near Tourist Attractions
- Footscray – Best Area for Foodies
- Carlton – Best Area for Italian Cultures
- Brighton Beach – Best Area for Quiet Holiday
- Southbank – Best Area for Foodies
- South Yarra – Best Area for Shopping
- Docklands – Best Area for Views
Where to Stay in Melbourne Map
To see more detail of Where to stay in Melbourne map, go to google map;
1. St. Kilda Beach, Where to Stay in Melbourne Close to CBD
The area of St. Kilda is notorious for being the main beach in the city of Melbourne, unlike Sydney, Melbourne isn’t renowned for having world-class beaches. Instead, it excels in other areas, but St. Kilda is a beautiful spot next to the ocean.
St. Kilda pier offers fantastic views of the brilliant Melbourne skyline, and this is one of the best views of the city I have witnessed during my time in the city.
This area of Melbourne is in a prime location, just a twenty-minute tram ride from the CBD and all the top attractions, restaurants and shops.
St. Kilda has a vast range of hotel options, but in particular, it caters for budget travellers and backpackers.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN ST. KILDA IF
- You want to be next to the beach
- You want a quiet area to relax
- You want to be close to the CBD
- You like to stay in cheap hotels
- You enjoy an artist/hipster vibe
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE ST.KILDA:
- Crest on Park: is a 4-star hotel, located in a quiet area, only a few minutes walk to the St. Kilda beach, and close enough to the actions: restaurants, bars, shops and trams, bus stops to the city center.
- Quest St Kilda Bayside: is a 4-star hotel, situated in a quiet area but in walking distance to the great bars, shops, restaurants, cafes and easy access to the city center by trams/trains.
- The Prince: The Prince is a boutique hotel with free Wi-Fi located in cosmopolitan St Kilda, just 5 minutes’ walk from the beach. Guests can relax in style at the spa or the sauna. The lounge area offers a balcony overlooking Fitzroy Street and Port Phillip Bay. Aurora Spa Retreat has full body massages and other treatments.
2. Melbourne CBD, Where to Stay in Melbourne for the First Time
Melbourne CBD, which stands for the Central Business District, is the mecca of Melbourne. It is the hub of Melbourne’s great cafes, tourist attractions, bars, restaurants, shops and next to Melbourne’s main sporting arena, Melbourne Cricket Ground.
Popular attractions in the city are Flinders Street Station and Hosier Lane. Melbourne CBD has every standard and type of hotel you can think of, from very high end to budget hostel rooms.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN MELBOURNE CBD IF:
- You want a central location
- You want to be near the MCG
- You want to be close to most attractions
- You don’t mind being central to busy nightlife
- You don’t mind busy areas
WHERE TO STAY IN MEBOURNE CBD:
- Park Hyatt Melbourne: is a luxury 5-star hotel in a great central location. It’s a short walk from all the amazing sites of Melbourne. The hotel is very clean and comfortable. Impeccable service and welcoming friendly staff.
- Flinders Backpackers: is a budget hostel in Melbourne CBD, literally located right in the middle of the city, within walking distance under 10 minutes to TONS of attractions. Also right next to a train station, easy access to the airport and everywhere.
- Sheraton Melbourne Hotel: is an excellent choice for upmarket business travelers since it is located on Collins Street, in the heart of the city’s CBD. As well as being convenient for business, this location is right on the doorstep of a considerable number of top quality restaurants and bars.
3. Fitzroy, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Hippies
Fitzroy is known for being Melbourne’s hippie suburb. I thought it was one of Melbourne’s most unique and exciting places. The suburb is perhaps known as the most alternative part of Australia with all kinds of cool things going on, such as countless vintage clothing stores and old record stores.
Fitzroy is only 3km outside of the CBD and a short tram ride on the 112 or 86 tram will have you there in no time at all.
It’s possible to find a great selection of hotels to suit all different budgets.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN FITZROY IF:
- You want to be in Melbourne’s most artistic spot
- You want to be close to the CBD
- You want to see great alternative stores
- You want to be close to excellent bars such as The Everleigh
- You don’t mind being outside the CBD
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE FITZROY:
- Tyrian Serviced Apartments Fitzroy: is self-catering accommodation with a balcony in Fitzroy, best hotel for couples, and makes you feel home away from home. The hotel is excellent for local eateries, shopping, bars, but also very close to trams into the city. Accommodation is spacious, clean and modern. Lovely staff and well sound insulated for the location.
- Melbourne Metropole Central: The apartment was spacious, comfortable and well equipped. It is in a perfect location on the CBD fringe. Great for exploring the CBD, museum, and Brunswick Street.
4. Richmond , Where to Stay in Melbourne Near Tourist Attractions
Just a short ten-minute walk from the CBD, Richmond is a fantastic spot to stay. Richmond is an excellent location that is situated next to Melbourne Cricket Ground and just a stone’s throw from Melbourne’s beautiful Royal Botanic Gardens.
Melbourne Cricket Ground is home to the Richmond Tigers, which is the most popular Australian Rules Football team in the city. If you’re in Melbourne, you should try to watch them play at the MCG.
Staying in Richmond accommodation can be slightly cheaper than the CBD, and you’re still next to most of the top attractions.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN RICHMOND IF:
- You want to stay somewhere quieter, yet still central located
- You are planning to go to the MCG
- You are watching the Australian open
- You don’t mind walking to the main attractions
- You don’t mind walking to the main nightlife
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE RICHMOND:
- Lanbruk Richmond Hill: Great location for sports events in MCG or Australian Open, in a walking distance to everything we needed, cafes, supermarkets, restaurants, sporting grounds and so on. Great spot !
- Adara Richmond: is located in a cool neighborhood. Easy access to city and popular tourist attractions.
5. Footscray, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Foodies
Melbourne is one of the world’s most multicultural cities, and you will feel this when you walk around the city. The suburb of Footscray is the centre of Melbourne’s culture scene with a vast array of different nationalities located here.
The level of international cuisine here is fantastic, with a diverse range of food from Vietnam to Greece to India. Footscray Market is an excellent market with food from all over the planet, and you can find some exceptionally exotic food here.
There are some good budget hotels in Footscray, but a much smaller choice than other parts of Melbourne.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN FOOTSCRAY IF:
- You love eating international cuisine
- You want to be outside the centre of Melbourne
- You want to be reasonably close to the main airport
- You don’t mind being outside the CBD
- You don’t mind staying in a calmer place
6. Carlton, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Italian Cultures
Melbourne is known for having a sizable European migrant community, and Carlton is home to many cultures from Europe, in particular Italy. Often coined as ‘Little Italy‘, Melbourne is home to a substantial Italian community.
Carlton is well known for having fantastic Victorian buildings, beautiful green parks and lush gardens. It’s a walking distance to the CBD, and in the free tram zone, so you’re able to get around the centre of Melbourne for free from here.
Carlton has a wide range of accommodation options, from mid-range hotels to 5-star luxury.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN CARLTON IF:
- You want to eat fantastic Italian food
- You want to be in the free tram zone
- You want to visit the Melbourne Museum
- You want to be centrally located
- You like cosmopolitan places
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE CARLTON:
- Zagame’s House: The place is chic, elegant & cosy. I loved the vibe of the place, and having the delicious cafe and wine bar next door. Staff were exceptional. About 10 min from the heart of downtown. But walking distance to lots of Italian and Asian restaurants.
- Arise The Eminence: has a mazing views! Great neighborhood. Easy access to tram and super close to CBD as well as lively Carlton which made it extra special.
- Carlton Lygon Lodge: The location is excellent, close to restaurants, shopping, park and museum. The room was updated and had everything we needed. The staff was friendly and helpful.
7. Brighton Beach, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Quiet Holiday
Brighton Beach is one of Melbourne’s most popular Instagram spots and is home to some of Melbourne’s most scenic views. Brighton Beach is half an hour away from the CBD.
The most popular thing to do in Brighton is walking along Brighton Beach, which is famous for the colourful bathing boxes that are a photographer’s dream.
Brighton Beach is one of Melbourne’s most affluent suburbs, and accommodation varies from cheap hippie hostels to expensive luxury hotels. Brighton Beach generally caters for high-end accommodation.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN BRIGHTON BEACH IF:
- You want to be away from the hustle and bustle
- You want to be closer to nature
- You want to be next to the picturesque Brighton Beach
- You want to swim in calm waters
- You don’t mind staying in a quiet area
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE BRIGHTON BEACH AREA:
- Brighton Savoy Hotel: Overlooking Brighton Beach, Brighton Savoy offers 24-hour reception and check in, a restaurant, free Wi-Fi and free parking. It features modern rooms with daily servicing. Some rooms offer Port Phillip Bay or garden views.
- Caroline Serviced Apartments Brighton: is in a great location, close to shops, cafes and public transport. Very quiet and comfortable studio apartment with underground secure car park. It is just 250 m from Middle Brighton Railway Station, and 15 minutes’ drive from Luna Park and the Sandringham Hospital. Melbourne Tullamarine Airport is a 40-minute drive away.
- Quest Brighton on the Bay: Located on Brighton Beach, this hotel is just 11 m from the Royal Brighton Yacht Club. Extremely clean, great balcony, lovely stylish rooms, plenty of space, perfect location for the wedding at the Brighton Baths.
8. Southbank, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Foodies
Southbank is one of the best locations to stay in, with an endless list of things to do and located right next to the Yarra River. Southbank is a brilliant central location.
Visitors will enjoy the vast number of art galleries that compliment Melbournes artistic and creative scene in the city. A tourist favourite is the National Gallery of Victoria, which is the oldest and most visited art museum in the whole of Australia.
Another great option is the Arts Centre Melbourne, which is Australia’s biggest and busiest performing arts centre. Southbank is home to some of Melbourne’s most expensive hotels and budget accommodation can be a little harder to find.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN SOUTHBANK IF
- You want to be close to the Yarra River
- You want to be close to some of Melbourne’s best food
- You want to be close to the artistic hub
- You want a central location that’s outside the CBD.
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE SOUTHBANK:
- Imagine Marco: Set in Melbourne, Imagine Marco is only 601 m from Eureka Tower and Crown Casino with the Southbank precinct close by. The property offers one and two bedroom apartments with panoramic city views. Great location, beautiful view, especially during sunrise and sunset!
- Crown Metropol Melbourne: offers luxury accommodations on Melbourne’s Southbank. Guests have access to an exclusive lounge (open on select days only) and a bar with panoramic city views. The view from my room was amazing! The room was very clean, and the staff were very welcoming and helpful.
- The Langham Melbourne: The location is spot on, facilities wonderful (hello gym, pool, spa, sauna and steam room!) but the staff are what make this hotel superb. The Langham is 601 m from Crown Casino and 851 m from Bourke Street Mall. Flinders Street Station is 8 minutes’ drive away and Melbourne Cricket Ground (MCG) is a 10-minute drive away.
9. South Yarra, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Shopping
South Yarra is known for extensive retail options; this is a shopping paradise. South Yarra has a vast array of shops that includes everything from quirky fashion shops to expensive high-end stores.
But it’s not just shops in South Yarra; there is a brilliant art gallery called the Gould Gallerie. This gallery exhibits fantastic pieces from local artists in the 19th and 20th century; this is another excellent art gallery.
Prahran Market is extremely popular with the locals and is located within South Yarra. It’s possible to find great hotel deals in South Yarra, but there are fewer hotels than other spots in the city.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN SOUTH YARRA IF:
- You love to go shopping
- You want to be close to St. Kilda
- You want to be next to Prahran
- You don’t mind being outside the CBD
- You don’t mind a quieter area
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE SOUTH YARRA:
- Art Series – The Olsen is a boutique hotel in the heart of South Yarra on Chapel Street, just a short walk from the entertainment and shopping area of Chapel Street. All accommodations have modern and contemporary decor. It is right in the heart of Melbourne‘s best shopping district, cafes and restaurants.
- The Como Melbourne – MGallery by Sofitel. The Como is perfectly positioned near the restaurants, boutiques and all attractions located in the South Yarra, Prahran and Toorak area. The Comoa features an indoor/outdoor pool and well-equipped gym, and offers stylish and spacious suites located on the popular Chapel Street in South Yarra.
- SoYa Apartment Hotel: is just a 10-minute drive from Melbourne CBD, SoYa Apartment Hotel is conveniently located to explore the city and its surrounds. It is 100 m from South Yarra Train Station and a 5-minute walk from the Yarra River. Royal Botanic Gardens Melbourne is a 15-minute walk away.
10. Docklands, Where to Stay in Melbourne for Views
Today the Docklands is a hub of Melbourne business and top quality Melbourne attractions. Still, it used to be called the west Melbourne swamp. It’s certainly changed a bit since those days.
It’s common for major global cities to have a giant observation wheel like London, Dubai and Singapore. Melbourne is no different; it has the Melbourne star that offers phenomenal views of Melbourne.
In character with the artistic nature of the city, the docklands is home to some fantastic contemporary art. The different sculptures all have their meaning and purpose. There aren’t many budget hotel options in the docklands, with most accommodation being mid to high range.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN DOCKLANDS IF:
- You love quieter places
- You enjoy open space
- You want to go to the Melbourne star
- You don’t mind being away from the CBD
- You don’t mind being away from the nightlife
WHERE TO STAY IN MELBOURNE DOCKLANDS:
- Quest NewQuay: is an awesome place to stay during our trip to beautiful Australia. This property is situated perfectly in the Docklands, with great water views and so close to the CBD. The tram stop is just to the back of the hotel and get so close to Docklands District. Hotel is modern, smart, professional, clean and perfect for any occasion.
- Winston Apartments Docklands: is excellent location. It is close to CBD and had free access to CBD by tram.
- Peppers Docklands: is just 300 m from Marvel Stadium. Guests can enjoy Australian cuisine at on-site restaurant, MOMAMI. Proximity to CBD & public transport is great.
- Where To Stay In Melbourne With Family/Toddlers/Baby?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne For Tourists?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne City Centre?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne Cheap?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne First Time?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne On A Budget?
- Where To Stay Near Melbourne Airport?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne For Shopping?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne For Nightlife?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne For One Night?
- Where To Stay In Melbourne With A Car?
- Places To Stay In Melbourne Near Beach?
Where To Stay In Melbourne With Family/Toddlers/Baby?
Melbourne is generally a very family-friendly city, with heaps of things for the family to do. And there are various top spots to stay around the city that are great for the family.
In my opinion, the best place for the family to stay in Melbourne is the Docklands. The Docklands has a fantastic array of things to do for the family, such as restaurants and shops. But it’s also quieter than the CBD, with a more relaxed vibe.
The combination of the open space, relaxed vibe, reasonably central location and child-friendly makes the Docklands perfect.
Where To Stay In Melbourne For Tourists?
That is a hard question to answer because there are many incredible spots to choose from that caters to tourists. Such as the CBD, Fitzroy, Carlton and Richmond. However, due to its superb location, I would pick Southbank as the best place to stay for a tourist.
Southbank is a very central location, it’s a 5-minute walk to the CBD and the shops, but it’s situated next to Melbourne’s finest art galleries, restaurants and parks.
It’s even a short walk away from Melbourne’s great sporting venues the MCG and the Australian open courts.
Where To Stay In Melbourne City Centre?
Staying in the CBD is a fantastic option for all types of travellers with an endless list of things to do from cafes, bars and shops. Many travellers opt to stay close to Flinders Street station.
There are some great options if you’re on a budget. Many of the city’s best hotels are in the CBD, such as the QT Melbourne. This hotel is highly rated and has a range of amenities from a gym, a great restaurant to a beautiful roof deck that offers skyline views.
The Langham Melbourne is an excellent option if you want to stay in Melbourne CBD. The hotel offers a swimming pool, a gym and spa facilities.
Where To Stay In Melbourne Cheap?
The best area to find cheap places to stay in Melbourne has to be St. Kilda, there are lots of great deals to be found in this area.
A great example is the Quest St Kilda Bayside, this is a well rated hotel in a good location in St. Kilda can sometimes be found at around $50 per night.
The Tolarno Hotel has good facilities and it is sometimes priced at around $40 per night. These are prime examples of cheap deals in Melbourne and St. Kilda has many.
Where To Stay In Melbourne First Time?
If it’s your first time in the city, then I would imagine you are highly excited to explore and see the city. I wouldn’t blame you, and I would recommend staying in a central location.
A great suburb to stay for first-time travellers in Melbourne is Southbank, this is the best location to be based around Melbourne’s attractions. You are only a stone’s throw from tourist hotspots.
Many people come to Melbourne to explore the city’s artistic nature, and Southbank is the best location to get into the local art culture as soon as you arrive.
Where To Stay In Melbourne On A Budget?
It’s possible to find good quality cheap accommodation all around the city. There are multiple budget accommodation options in the CBD, and you can benefit from Melbourne’s free tram system here.
But the stand out budget area in Melbourne is St. Kilda; there are a high number of budget hotels in St. Kilda. St. Kilda is the backpacker hub of Melbourne, and there are a heap of hostels in the area.
St. Kilda is probably the best budget area to find cheap deals in Melbourne.
Where To Stay Near Melbourne Airport?
There are many great options near Melbourne Tullamarine airport. A great place to stay in the North Essendon B & B Melbourne Airport, this is a highly rated B & B that is 6.5km from the airport and a good option.
Suppose you want to stay even closer to the airport. In that case, a great option is the Melbourne Airport Motel that is highly rated and just 4km from Tullamarine airport.
Tullamarine is an industrial part of Melbourne with not much to see. If you’re in Melbourne for a while, it might be a good idea to head to a more central location.
Where To Stay In Melbourne For Shopping?
There are so many incredible spots to stay in Melbourne if you love to go shopping. If you’re into hipster shops, then Fitzroy has many, as does South Yarra.
But I would have to say the best place to stay if you want to experience Melbournes finest shopping in the CBD. Bourke Street Mall is a famous yet brilliant spot to go shopping in Melbourne. Located in the CBD, this shopping mall has the largest H & M store in Australia.
It’s also home to many classical Aussie department stores such as David Jones or Myers.
Where To Stay In Melbourne For Nightlife?
The nightlife in Melbourne is known by many to be the greatest in Australia. The CBD is home to a considerable chunk of Melbourne’s fantastic, and well sought after nightlife.
The CBD is home to notorious nightclubs such as the Radar, Sub Club, Night Cat and the Town in Toff. Melbourne CBD is a fantastic live music venue, and studies have claimed that Melbourne is the live music capital of the world.
Because Melbourne’s best nightlife is in and around the CBD, the best spot to stay in Melbourne for nightlife has to be the CBD.
Where to Stay In Melbourne For One Night?
If you’re only in Melbourne for one night, the best place to stay is in or around the CBD. The airport is not near the best things that Melbourne has to offer.
It is a good idea to travel to the centre of Melbourne if you’re going to experience anything of what the great city has to offer. There are many very central locations such as Fitzroy, Southbank or the CBD.
Depending on how you get into the centre, the best place to stay is in the CBD. The CBD is where the airport shuttle bus drops passengers off.
Where To Stay In Melbourne With A Car?
If you have a car in Melbourne, you have a great air of opportunity to stay wherever you want. A car is great because it means you can stay outside the CBD.
There are some great options just outside the city, such as Footscray. This part of Melbourne is quieter than the CBD but still has many great accommodation options.
The best spot if you have a car is a suburb outside of the CBD like Footscray; it’s also a faster drive to the Great Ocean Road.
Where To Stay In Melbourne Near Beach?
If you want to stay near a beach in Melbourne, you have two great options. You can stay in either St. Kilda or Brighton Beach, and both have great benefits.
I would suggest that St. Kilda is the best beach option because you can find more budget accommodation, as well as some high-end hotels if that’s what you’re looking for.
St. Kilda is close to the beach and only a 20 minute ride to the CBD via the tram.
So now you should be clear on the best places to stay in Melbourne, Australia. There is a wide choice, and Melbourne can leave you spoilt for choice, but this is a city that always has something to offer. From the world-class nightlife, the incredible coffee, the influential artistic scene to the beautiful shops and restaurants.
There are always great things to do in Melbourne, Australia. Melbourne is a city that is seen by many as the most fantastic city in the Southern Hemisphere, and I hope you have a wonderful stay.