Best Place to Stay in Adelaide, South Australia
If you’re wondering where to stay in Adelaide, or where is the best area to stay in Adelaide, you’re in the right place.I will give an insight into 6 best place to stay in Adelaide for first time visitors, couples, families, backpackers, all budget travelers; read on as I show you the best of Adelaide.
Adelaide is the capital city of the state of South Australia. Adelaide is known for its gorgeous weather, world-class wine, natural beauty, and stunning architecture.
With a population of just 1.3 million, Adelaide is one of the smallest state capitals in Australia, but that doesn’t mean there aren’t things to do within the city. Adelaide is home to the world-class sport, excellent museums, superb old colonial buildings and vast open green spaces around the city.
It is also the gateway for many people getting to the outback, with many visitors beginning their drive into Alice Springs and Northern Territory from Adelaide.
Where To Stay in Adelaide – 6 Best Area to Stay in Adelaide
The city of Adelaide does cover a wide area, and therefore it is essential to choose the right place to stay on your visit.
This guide will give you an insight into the best places to stay for all demographics, including backpackers, budget travelers, mid-end budget, high-end budget, families and couples, business travelers.
So, Where is the best area to stay in Adelaide? In this section, we’ll help you to explore the 6 best areas to stay in Adelaide are: Adelaide CBD, Glenelg, North Adelaide, West Beach, Port Adelaide, McLaren Vale.
Where to Stay in Adelaide Map
To see more detail of best areas to stay in Adelaide Map, go to google map;
1. Adelaide CBD – Best Area to Stay in Adelaide for First Time Visitors
Adelaide CBD is a superb spot for any traveller. The CBD is home to the broadest range of accommodation that suits all types of budgets, and it has the vastest range of attractions of anywhere in the city.
A popular attraction in the CBD is the Adelaide Central Market. This market houses one of the largest fresh food markets in the world. It is an incredibly popular market which attracts over 9 million visitors per year.
You can find any accommodation in Adelaide CBD, from budget hotels to mid-end hotels and even 5-star luxury hotels. Adelaide CBD is a great location.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN ADELAIDE CBD IF
- You want to stay in a central location.
- You want to be near many attractions
- You like to be in the busy areas
- You don’t mind being around a lot of people
- You don’t mind being away from the beach
WHERE TO STAY IN ADELAIDE CBD:
- Holiday Inn Express Adelaide City Centre is located in the vibrant north-west quarter of Adelaide’s CBD. The central location provides guests with easy access to Adelaide Oval, Adelaide Convention Center, the Royal Adelaide Hospital, the SA Health and Medical Research Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide Casino, and Rundle Mall, all within a 10-minute walk away. This 4-star hotel is a great place to stay for couples, business and leisure travelers.
- ibis Adelaide is a 4-star hotel, just 10 minutes walk from Adelaide Convention Center, The Botanic Gardens and Royal Adelaide Hospital. It is 15 minutes’ drive from Adelaide Airport and Glenelg Beach. Adelaide’s arts district, which includes the Festival Center and Dunstan Playhouse is just 10 minutes’ drive away.
- Adelaide Central YHA is ideally located for enjoying the West End, with markets, shopping, restaurants, cafes, bars and nightclubs within walking distance. The property is just 20 minutes by bus from Adelaide Airport or Adelaide Parklands Rail Terminal. This hostel is a great place to stay for backpackers.
2. Glenelg – Best Area to Stay in Adelaide for Beach Holiday
If you’re looking to stay by the beach, then a great area to visit is Glenelg. Glenelg is perfect if you’re in Adelaide during the summer when it can get unbearably hot.
A popular attraction in Glenelg is Glenelg Beach. Glenelg Beach has beautiful white sand that covers the entire beach, and plenty of open space. The beach is a great spot to escape the heat. Another popular attraction in Glenelg is the pier. Built-in 1859, the pier tells a tale of the history of Adelaide.
Glenelg is home to a wide variety of accommodation. It is perfect for budget travellers with a great selection of budget hotels and backpacker hostels.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN GLENELG IF.
- You like to be next to the beach
- You want to be away from the CBD
- You like relaxing surroundings
- You don’t mind being away from many attractions.
- You don’t mind staying in quieter areas with fewer things going on.
WHERE TO STAY IN GLENELG AREA
- Stamford Grand Adelaide is just a perfect getaway location and beautiful place to stay. Ideal for relaxation and unwinding. The hotel is located right on Glenelg Beach, 25 minutes’ drive from the Adelaide city center, 15 minutes’ drive from Adelaide Airport . All grand rooms have been newly refurbished, with the new chic and modern décor accentuating the relaxed and stylish beachside culture of Glenelg.
- Ensenada Motor Inn and Suites is an excellent location, close to Jetty Road. Lovely, very clean comfortable room, and friendly staff.
- Seawall Apartments is located right on the beachfront of the beautiful Glenelg Beach, Seawall Apartments offer unique self-contained accommodations with free WiFi and free car parking. Guests enjoy a sun terrace with BBQ facilities.
3. North Adelaide – Best Area to Stay in Adelaide for Backpackers
A popular place to visit for those who want to escape city life is North Adelaide. North Adelaide is home to vast open space and parks; it is an excellent option for those who want to relax.
A popular attraction in North Adelaide is the Adelaide Zoo. Home to over 2500 animals and 250 different species, this is a superb spot for anyone looking to escape the busy CBD life. Adelaide Zoo is the second oldest zoo in Australia and offers a lot of fun for anyone.
North Adelaide has a wide variety of hotels that suit all different types of budgets. The area is popular with backpackers, but it’s also common to see mid to high-end hotels around the area.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN NORTH ADELAIDE IF
- You want to be near the zoo
- You like big open spaces
- You want to be outside the CBD
- You like relaxing spots
- You don’t mind being away from the beach.
WHERE TO STAY IN NORTH ADELAIDE
- Majestic Old Lion Apartments offers 4-star fully self-contained studio apartments with free unlimited Wi-Fi. Majestic Tynte Street Apartments is ideal for long and short term accommodations. Great location close to shops and free connector bus into the city. Lovely apartments with everything you need to self cater with supermarkets close by.
- North Adelaide Boutique Stays Accommodation: is within walking distance of local bars and the dining precinct. The iconic Adelaide Oval and Adelaide Festival Center are a short stroll along O’Connell Street.
- Majestic Tynte Street Apartments: is in a great location, with cafes, restaurants and shopping only steps away, these apartments are just over a kilometer from the center of Adelaide. Adelaide Zoo, Adelaide Oval and Adelaide University are within a 20-minute walk of the property.
4. West Beach – Best Area to Stay in Adelaide Near Airport
Another popular coastal spot in Adelaide is West Beach. Home to glorious beaches, golf courses, shopping malls and numerous restaurants and bars.
Visitors enjoy many attractions in West Beach, but many enjoy the mega-adventure park based there. The mega-adventure park is home to a massive obstacle course that provides an observation deck and zip wire options for children. Alternatively, West Beach is home to a glorious coastline that anyone will enjoy relaxing on.
West Beach has hotels for all budgets, and it’s especially popular with travellers looking to be close to the airport. You can find anything from budget hotels to luxury hotels.
YOUS SHOULD STAY IN WEST BEACH IF.
- You want to be near to the beach
- You like relaxed spots
- You want to be close to the airport
- You don’t mind being away from the CBD
- You don’t mind being away from the nightlife.
WHERE TO STAY IN ADELAIDE WEST BEACH:
- West Beach Parks Resort is set on the stunning coastline and just a short drive from the Adelaide CBD, West Beach Parks Resort offers direct beach access and a beautiful natural environment with spacious, lush grounds. There are a range of accommodations options, including deluxe self-contained units, villas and bungalows.
- BIG4 West Beach Parks is located on West Beach. It features manicured gardens and BBQ facilities. Guests can enjoy a lagoon swimming pool, family friendly facilities and beach access.
5. Port Adelaide – Best Area to Stay in Adelaide to See Dolphin
Port Adelaide is a superb spot to stay. It is located on the Adelaide coast, around a 30-minute drive from the CBD. Port Adelaide is an excellent location if you’re looking to be close to the beach.
There are many cool things to do in Port Adelaide, one of the coolest things is to check out the National Railway Museum Port Adelaide. This museum is Australia’s largest railway museum and shows exhibits from the commonwealth and South Australia railways. Another great thing to see is the Port Adelaide Dolphin Cruise, which shows the local dolphins on a delightful boat ride.
Port Adelaide is home to a variety of accommodation, it is possible to get cheap deals, but many hotels are mid to high end.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN PORT ADELAIDE IF.
- You want to see grand museums
- You like to be near the coast
- You want to see the dolphin tours
- You like to be away from busy areas
- You don’t mind being away from the principal attractions
WHERE TO STAY IN PORT ADELAIDE
- Nightcap at Exeter Hotel: provides a bar, garden and terrace. Featuring a restaurant, the 3-star hotel has air-conditioned rooms with free WiFi, each with a private bathroom. Private parking can be arranged at an extra charge.
6. McLaren Vale – Best Area to Stay in Adelaide for Wine Lovers
Located just a 45-minute drive for the Adelaide CBD, the McLaren Vale is a fantastic option if you want a quiet stay. The McLaren Vale is home to some of Australia’s best wine.
If you’re in the McLaren Vale, you should visit the numerous wineries. Famous wines that come from the McLaren vale are shiraz, grenache and chardonnay. Some excellent wine tours cover the entire area. But if you’re in the Mclaren Vale, you should also check out the beautiful beaches such as Aldinga Beach, Maslin Beach, and Moana.
It isn’t easy to find budget accommodation in the McLaren Vale, but you can find some tremendous mid to high-end hotels all around the area.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN THE MCLAREN VALE IF.
- You like wine
- You want to escape the busy CBD.
- You want to go trekking.
- You don’t mind being on the city outskirts
- You don’t mind being away from other attractions.
WHERE TO STAY IN MCLAREN VALE
- McLaren Vale Motel & Apartments is located in the heart of the McLaren Vale wine region, McLaren Vale Motel offers spacious accommodations with modern appliances. It features an outdoor pool, barbecue facilities and free parking.
- Serafino McLaren Vale is located in the heart of the McLaren Vale wine region, only 26 mi from the Adelaide CBD. Set among impressive vines, 200-year-old gum trees and in front of a tranquil lake, the hotel shares its grounds with Serafino Wines & Cellar Door, where guests can sample the latest Serafino wines.
- Casavino Luxury Villas offer modern self-contained accommodations in the McLaren Vale wine region, just 5 minutes’ walk from a number of wineries.
Tips for Choosing Where to Stay in Adelaide
Adelaide has some good areas to stay, and you should look to find a place that meets your needs.
If you’re looking to be central, you should look to stay in the CBD. The CBD is close to many of the best attractions. It’s also home to the heart of Adelaide’s sport at the Adelaide Oval.
If you want to be closer to the beach, there are various great suburbs along the West End of Adelaide which offer fantastic beachside areas.
But if you enjoy quiet areas, there are great spots all around Adelaide such as North Adelaide, which offers relaxing open space.
Where To Stay In Adelaide For The First Timer?
The best place would be the Adelaide CBD. It is home to the vast majority of the cities best attractions, and the location is perfect for public transport. It’s straightforward to get to the surrounding areas from the CBD.
The CBD offers by far the broadest range of accommodation in Adelaide, and you’re always able to find excellent budget deals and some of the most luxurious high-end accommodation in the city.
Should I Stay In Adelaide Or Glenelg?
I think this depends on whether you are more interested in the beach or the attractions of the city.
The great thing about Glenelg is that you can quickly get to the CBD and other Adelaide areas using the tram and different modes of public transport.
If you want to stay by the coast, then you should look to stay around Glenelg, but you can easily stay in Adelaide and catch the public transport system and be there quickly. Adelaide isn’t that big, so I would suggest staying in Adelaide and commuting to the beaches.
Where Do Celebrities Stay In Adelaide?
Celebrities tend to stay in the CBD because this offers the broadest range of luxury and high-end accommodation. It is also the home to most of Adelaide’s most fantastic attractions.
Many celebrities like to watch the sport on offer at the Adelaide Oval and will watch Australian Cricket Matches. They will also frequent the nightlife of the city, which is generally around the CBD.
Where To Stay In Adelaide City?
If you’re in Adelaide city then I would recommend staying in the CBD. You are always going to be close to the best attractions, find the best budget accommodation, find the best high-end accommodation and generally have the most fun.
There are some other great spots in the city such as North Adelaide and the West End, but generally, the place to stay in the city is the CBD. And even if you fancy heading to more relaxed areas, the excellent infrastructure and transport system running out of the CBD will get you there with ease.
Where To Stay Near Adelaide Airport?
The best place to stay if you want to be near to the airport is Glenelg. If you remain in Glenelg, you will only be around a 5-10 minute drive from the airport, as this area is extremely close to the airport.
It is possible to stay in other areas of the city, such as the CBD and surrounding areas and quickly get to the airport via public transportation and different modes. However, if you want a great location that is right next to the airport, then Glenelg is the best area to base yourself.
Places To Stay In Adelaide Near The Beach?
There are some great beachside options in Adelaide, and the coastline covers the entire city. I think the best beachside place is Glenelg because it has the best connection to the rest of Adelaide and the broadest range of accommodation.
Glenelg has the best attractions of any of Adelaide’s beachside areas with many great things to do and see there. You can stay in other spots like the West End or Port Adelaide, or even the Mclaren Vale. But I think the best area is Glenelg.
Where To Stay In Adelaide Wine Regions?
Adelaide is home to so many great wine regions, you could stay in the famous Barossa Valley or the Adelaide Hills, but these areas are far outside the city. And these locations would require you to take a day trip from Adelaide or find accommodation in the areas because its a two hour drive from Adelaide.
The best option is the McLaren Vale because it’s only 45 minutes from the CBD. It has a wide selection of beaches, hikes and accommodation and provides by far the most convenient place to experience wine but also be close to the city.
Best Places To Stay In Adelaide For Families?
The best place to stay for families is in North Adelaide. This part of Adelaide is very relaxed and has so much open space. I believe this is the best place to take a family because you’re still very close to the city’s attractions yet you can easily relax and find quiet spots.
North Adelaide is home to the most prominent children’s attraction in the city, the Adelaide Zoo and being close to this fabulous attraction is ideal for families. There are many options for family-friendly hotels in the area too.
Adelaide is a fantastic city to visit. Some of Australia’s most beautiful nature surrounds it, and it’s home to some tremendous attractions.
Due to the city being on the smaller side, choosing the right area isn’t as crucial as it would be in Sydney, or Melbourne because you quickly access other parts of the city whereas in Sydney it can take hours to get from place to place.
The most excellent spots to stay are the CBD or Glenelg, but regardless, you will be able to see the entire city with relative ease no matter where you stay.