Where to Stay in Jakarta Indonesia: Best Areas and Hotels
Wondering where to stay in Jakarta for nightlife, family, shopping, backpacker, near the airport? We’ll help you find the best areas to stay in Jakarta in this guide.
The capital and largest city in Indonesia, Jakarta, is located on the northwest coast of Java. With a population of 23 million people, the city is an economic and transport center.
With its nickname “The island with a Thousand and One Faces”, Jakarta is a portal to incredible tourist attractions.
Jakarta is divided into 5 regions : Central, South, East, West, and North, all of which offer something different and unique for the tourists.
Where to Stay in Jakarta: Tips & Info
The areas listed in the article are among the most preferred by tourists visiting Jakarta. Each of these places offers a large selection of public transport to take you to the airport at any time.
Choose a place to stay, near bus stations or trains so you can get around to other areas more easily. But keep in mind the fact that this is a large city with a population of millions, and your movement can be very slow even to the nearest places.
Accommodation varies from hostels and low class to high class and luxury according to your preferences. The service in the hotels is mostly friendly and welcoming.
The city is as not very safe, even in the central parts, so it is absolutely necessary to stay away from remote neighborhoods or places you do not know. Places to stay in this kind of area has many dangers.
Avoid people who offer you unauthorized rooms for rent in their homes or elsewhere, even at modest prices. This poses many risks, and you may have problems with the police because it is illegal.
Where to Stay in Jakarta Indonesia – 9 Best Area & Neighborhood
Jakarta has many historical sites, restaurants, and attractive bars. The Indonesian capital is a popular stop for all kinds of tourists and adventurers and offers many interesting places you can stay.
Choosing where to stay in such a big city hides its some difficulties. In this guide, we will look at 9 of the best areas of Jakarta to help you have a great time in this metropolis.
Where to Stay in Jakarta Indonesia – 9 Best Areas & Neighborhoods to Stay in Jakarta
- Menteng – Best Area Close to Tourist Attractions
- Tanah Abang – Best Area for Foodies
- The Central Business District – Best Area for Nightlife
- Glodok – Best Area for Budget Travelers
- Jakarta Old Town – Best Area for Photo Lovers
- Ancol – Best Area for Families
- Jalan Jaksa – Best Areas for Backpackers
- Mangga Dua – Best Area for the First Time
- Selamat Datang Monument Area – Best Area Close to Historical Landmarks
Where to Stay in Jakarta Indonesia Map
To see more detail of the Map, go to Google Map.
1. Menteng, Where to Stay in Jakarta near Tourist Attractions
Menteng is located in the central part of Jakarta and among the most popular places in the capital with many restaurants, shops, and hotels. Merdeka Square is the central hotspot of the area and a place for trade and shopping.
Places to stay varies from high-class hotels to budget hostels, and all kinds of travelers can find their place to stay in Menteng. The area has a well connected public transport, and you will have easy access to important locations.
Most landmarks, such as the National Museum of Indonesia, the National Monument, and the Pasar Baru shopping street, are located in Menteng.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN MENTENG IF:
- If you are looking for a place near tourist attractions.
- If you prefer a communicative area near social spots.
- If you want a wide choice of public transport.
- You don’t mind the noise and the crowds.
Best Hotels in Menteng
- Fraser Residence Menteng Jakarta is a fabulous, beautifully decorated, 5-star hotel, located in the centre of Jakarta. It is surrounded by some of the city’s most popular tourist attractions, shopping centres and dining options, as well as the Thamrin business district. All rooms have air-conditioning and Wi-Fi, while the hotel also boasts a gym, restaurant, games room and meeting facilities.
- DoubleTree by Hilton Jakarta – Diponegoro is a 5-star hotel that comes with all the quality you would expect from the Hilton brand. The rooms are all fully air-conditioned and feature luxuries like rain showers, iPod docking stations and big screen satellite TV’s. A gym and kids club are available at the hotel, while a selection of bars and restaurants are also present to cater to your every need.
2. Tanah Abang, Where to Stay in Jakarta for Foodies
The area is located in the central part of Jakarta.
In Tanah Abang, you can visit the Textile Museum, MuseumTaman Prasati , and Stadium of Gelora Bung Karno.
Here are some of the best traditional restaurants in Indonesia where you can try amazing local cuisine. Tanah Abang is a famous and important business region but also a place with many hotels and places to stay. The hotels range from top-class to budget and are suitable for first-time visitors and sightseeing.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN TANAH ABANG IF:
- You prefer a place located in the central part.
- If you are on a street food tour.
- Looking for a place close to tourist attractions and shops.
- You want a place with a great choice of public transport.
- You don’t mind car traffic and noise.
Best Hotels in Tanah Abang
- Ascott Jakarta offers a selection of luxurious, 5-star apartments, located within the city’s Golden Triangle area. All units feature air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, big screen TV’s, fully equipped kitchens and stunning views of the city. Aside from that, the property also boasts an outdoor pool, a spa, tennis courts, a kid’s playground, free private parking and a restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Shangri-La Hotel Jakarta is a fabulous, 5-star hotel and spa, with stylish, air-conditioned rooms, surrounded by landscaped gardens, ideal for those looking for a relaxing getaway. A range of bars, restaurants and lounges offer guests a choice of gourmet, Asian cuisines, while the pool, gym, sauna, hot tub and tennis courts mean you’ll never be bored. Free Wi-Fi and parking come as standard.
- Hotel Indonesia Kempinski Jakarta is a superb, 5-star hotel, located at the heart of the city, beside the famous Bundaran HI. A range of 6 restaurants ensure you will always find something to match your taste, while a gym, spa and rooftop swimming pool will keep you entertained. Rooms feature luxurious interiors, views and facilities, while helicopter and BMW rentals are also offered.
3. The Central Business Distric, Where to Stay in Jakarta for Nightlife
One of the most popular places in Jakarta, attracting many business visitors from around the world. This area is home to some of the largest business centers in Asia.
This area never sleeps, and places for entertainment and places for shopping lurk everywhere. Here you can visit Plaza Semangi, a huge shopping complex that is a paradise for shopping maniacs.
Despite the most luxurious restaurants, CBD is a great scene for local and street food. Your choice of places to stay large ranges from luxury hotels with spa, gym, and pool to mid-range hotels at reasonable prices.
In CBD, you can also find apartments and studios if you want different types of accommodation. The public transport in the area will connect you with other important places.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN JAKARTA CBD IF:
- If you want a place for nightlife.
- If you prefer a place for shopping and social activities.
- If you want a wide choice of public transport.
- You don’t mind the noise from the big traffic.
- You do not mind the high prices of services.
Best Hotels in Central Business District
- Ascott Sudirman Jakarta is a fabulous collection of 5-star, fully furnished apartments, where each unit features air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, fully equipped kitchens, private bathrooms, seating areas and a home entertainment system. Breakfast is served daily in the lounge, and a pool, a gym, a spa, tennis courts, a billiard table and a library ensure you’re always entertained. All guests receive free parking.
- The Ritz-Carlton Jakarta, Mega Kuningan is a luxurious, 5-star resort, operated by the legendary Ritz-Carlton company. A spa, gym, pool and choice of restaurants are all facilities that you might expect from a hotel of this calibre, as are the stylish, well equipped air-conditioned rooms. Some of the less common features offered include a cigar haven, jogging track, karaoke room and live entertainment.
4. Glodok, Where to Stay in Jakarta for Budget Travelers
Glodok is Jakarta’s Chinatown and is home to most of Indonesia’s Chinese population. The area is rich in culture, attractions, and especially food.
You can walk on the narrow streets and see uniquely decorated oriental temples throughout the neighborhood. Chinatown is a perfect place to buy food products at super cheap prices.
The area offers some of the best restaurants in the capital with incredible cuisine. Accommodation in Glodok is at great prices, and the hotels are comfortable and clean, offering good quality.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN GLODOK IF:
- If you want to be close to a place with delicious food.
- Looking for a place at low prices and good service.
- You want a place with a rich culture.
- You don’t mind the noisy places.
Best Hotels in Glodok
- The Packer Lodge is a great hostel, ideal for those travelling on a budget, offering a choice of private rooms and shared dormitories, all of which are air-conditioned. Facilities at the site include Wi-Fi, a restaurant, bar, shared lounge, prayer facilities and a gym. There is also a kitchen where guests can enjoy a welcome drink and snack, while laundry, lockers and massages are available for an extra fee.
- Hotel Santika Premiere Hayam Wuruk Jakarta is a 4-star hotel in the heart of the city. The beautiful, stylish rooms offer guests clean, comfortable accommodation, with air-conditioning, Wi-Fi, mini bars and flat screen TVs in each unit. The hotel also features a fabulous restaurant serving Indonesian and international cuisines, as well as a dinner buffet in the lounge, providing you with plenty of options.
- Novotel Jakarta Gajah Mada is a modern hotel, featuring elegant, air-conditioned rooms, just 10 minutes from the national monument. Two fabulous restaurants let you choose between Asian and international cuisine each night, as well as light snacks and cocktails. Other on-site facilities include an outdoor pool, gym, spa and children’s play area, to keep your whole party entertained.
5. Jakarta Old Town, Where to Stay in Jakarta for Photo Lovers
The old city of Jakarta, Kota Tua is the most visited neighborhood in the capital. It is located around Taman Fatahila Square in northern Jakarta.
This is the oldest part of the city, and here the modern are combined with the historical. This part of the city was created in the 16th century by Dutch colonialists.
In the Old City, you can see amazing sights from the colonial past of Jakarta. Keep in mind that this is the most famous and preferred place to stay, which makes hotel prices more expensive than other areas. But you can still find middle-class places to stay.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN JAKARTA OLD TOWN IF:
- You prefer to stay close to historical sites.
- You want a place for photos and walks.
- You don’t mind the high hotel prices.
- You don’t mind the crowds of people.
Best Hotels in Jakarta Old Town
- Mercure Jakarta Batavia is a historic, 4-star hotel, located within the “Kota” area. A strong Dutch influence is present in the architecture, as is the theme of the area, which is just a 20-minute drive from the airport. Facilities available at the site include 2 swimming pools, a bar, a restaurant, a gym and spa and wellness centre. Room service and facilities to assist disabled guests are also available.
- Wonderloft Hostel is a pleasant, affordable option in Kota, featuring a range of private rooms with En-suite bathrooms and shared dormitories. Guests can enjoy mingling in the shared kitchen and terrace, while games such as billiards are present to help you break the ice. There is Wi-Fi available throughout the property and a free tour bus is located nearby to take guests into the city centre.
6. Ancol, Where to Stay in Jakarta for Family
Ancol is the family paradise of Jakarta. The marina district offers great attractions for tourists with children. Ancol has a beautiful promenade known as Ancol Dreamland, but also a wide range of attractions for all ages like the aquaparks and art market.
Some of the most famous attractions and are Sea World, Ocean Dream Samudra, Dunia Fantasia, and Atlantis Water Adventure. The neighborhood has all kinds of public transport and accommodation is mainly family hotels and holiday villages.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN ANCOL IF:
- If you are looking for a place suitable for children
- If you prefer a place with water attractions
- You don’t mind noisy places.
7. Jalan Jaksa, Where to Stay in Jakarta for Backpackers
Jalan Jaksa is one of Jakarta’s most renowned sites among budget travelers and backpackers. Hеre crowds of tourists are common because the area is popular among foreigners.
National Monument is located in Jalan Jaksa and connects the neighborhood with the central part. You can also visit and Alfamidi near the Gambir railway station, which connects the area with the airport.
Jalan Jaksa is full of accommodation, mainly from the middle, and low-class hostels and rooms for rent. Some of the accommodation needs repairs, but you can also find good conditions for your stay.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN JALAN JAKSA IF:
- If you are a backpacker.
- Looking for a budget place.
- You do not mind low accommodation conditions.
Best Hotels near Jalan Jaksa
- Ashley Wahid Hasyim Jakarta is a stunning hotel, situated in the centre of the city’s business and entertainment districts. Shopping and dining options are abundant around the hotel, which also features its own gourmet restaurant on-site. The beautifully styled rooms all feature amenities like Wi-Fi and a flat screen TV, while a laundry service is also available at the property.
- Konko Hostel Jakarta is a great option for anyone who is travelling on a budget, offering guests a choice of private rooms and shared dormitories, all of which are fully air-conditioned. The hotel features a range of facilities to keep you comfortable and help you interact with your fellow guests, such as a terrace, ping pong tables, Wi-Fi, an a la carte breakfast and evening entertainment.
8. Mangga Dua, Where to Stay in Jakarta for the First Time
Mangga Dua hosts all the big concerts of foreign stars. Here you can see many shopping malls, restaurants, and cafes.
The proximity to the airport makes the neighborhood preferred for backpackers and people traveling to other destinations but must wait a long time for a plane. Accommodation is affordable and budget-friendly, but most are modern hotels and large apartments.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN MANGGA DUA IF:
- If you are looking for a place near the airport.
- You are looking for a place for one night.
- If you prefer a place with well-connected transport.
- You don’t mind the noise of planes.
Best Hotels in Mangga Dua
- Novotel Jakarta Mangga Dua Square is a fabulous, 4-star hotel, offering guests a selection of beautiful, air-conditioned rooms, decorated in a contemporary style and providing stunning views of the city. Wi-Fi is present throughout the property and there is an Olympic size swimming pool for guests to enjoy and keep active in. There are also a huge number of popular attractions located within a 10-minute drive of the hotel, such as Ancol Dreamland Park, retail outlets and Jakarta Old Town, for those who prefer to venture away from the accommodation and see the sights. In terms of dining options, the on-site Food Exchange is an international restaurant, serving dishes from around the world, as well as breakfast each morning, while a lobby bar is also available.
- Zuri Express Mangga Dua is a unique, brightly coloured hotel, located near the city’s legendary Fatahillah Museum historical site. It is also less than a 10-minute drive from Jakarta Kota Railway Station, so is ideal for anyone travelling by train. The rooms are all vibrant and styled in a similar manner to the rest of the hotel, while offering stunning views out over the city. They all feature amenities such as air-conditioning, an En-suite bathroom, a flat screen cable TV, a desk, and a seating area. Outside of the room, the hotel also features a restaurant, serving breakfast each morning and a selection of light meals throughout the day, as well as offering all guests free parking and Wi-Fi around the property. Room service, laundry service, and a business centre, as well as meeting and banquet facilities are all available to all guests for an extra fee.
9. Selamat Datang Monument Area – Best Area in Jakarta to See Historical Landmarks
Welcome to Selamat Datang Monument Area! The area is named after the most famous landmark, the Selamat Datang Monument.
Selamat Datang Monument Area is home to some of the most famous and luxurious 5-star hotels. In this area, you can also visit the famous Sudirman Square and the poet Jalan Sudirman.
The transport connection with the rest of the city offers both buses and metro. Bundaran HI Metro Station connects the area with Jalan Jaksa. Places to stay and restaurants are mostly luxurious and high class. On the border with other neighborhoods, you can find nice hotels at good prices.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN SELAMAT DATANG MONUMENT AREA IF:
- If you prefer a place close to historical landmarks and social spots.
- If you are looking for a luxury place.
- If you prefer a communicative place.
- If you do not mind high prices.
- Where To Stay In Jakarta With Family?
- Where To Stay In Jakarta For Nightlife?
- First Time In Jakarta Where To Stay?
- Is Jakarta Good For Tourists?
- Where Should I Stay In Jakarta For Shopping?
- Is It Safe To Walk Around Jakarta?
- Is It Ok To Wear Shorts In Jakarta?
- How Many Days Do You Need In Jakarta?
- Where To Stay In Jakarta For One Night?
- Where To Stay In Jakarta Backpacker
- Where To Stay In Jakarta For Tourists?
- Where To Stay Near Jakarta Airport?
- Where To Stay In Jakarta For 2 Weeks?
Where To Stay In Jakarta With Family?
If you are a family with kids, then your place is Ancol. The area offers more options to have a nice and relaxing time with your family.
This resort area is home to many amazing parks, water parks, aquariums, eco-parks, and an art market. You will not have a problem with your children’s entertainment.
The area has not only a beautiful promenade and a wide range of attractions for all ages. Getting around Ancol is super easy and there are buses and gondolas that offer unique aerial views of the neighborhood.
Where To Stay In Jakarta For Nightlife?
Wondering where to stay in Jakarta for nightlife? Sudirman’s Central Business District, also known as SCBD, is your place. The area is one of the best places to stay in Jakarta precisely because of its location.
SCBD is the most modern and social neighborhood in the Indonesian capital and a favorite place for nightlife fans. As a business center, the area is full of skyscrapers, trendy bars and great nightclubs open to late.
With so many nightlife spots in the area, it won’t be hard to find where to stay. CBD has everything for everyone, and you will have a large selection from luxury hotels to budget hostels.
First Time In Jakarta Where To Stay?
If you are visiting Jakarta for the first time, then the best option for you is Mangga Dua. The area is well connected by public transport, and there is a railway station and a bus station.
As for accommodation, the places to stay are affordable, suitable for all types of travelers. Most places to stay range from comfortable apartments to modern hotels.
Manga Dua is also one of the largest shopping areas in Asia and a place full of sights and beautiful architecture. You will definitely not miss anything in this district.
Is Jakarta Good For Tourists?
Jakarta is a dynamic city and one of the largest cities in the world. In the last few decades, the Indonesian capital has become an irreversible part of tourist bouquets. Jakarta is still developing its tourist potential and can offer its visitors a large selection of things to see and do and where to stay.
Exciting nightlife, a lively shopping scene, as well as amazing culture and local cuisine. The locals are friendly and positive and compared to many other world capitals, street crime is low. Skipping Jakarta as a tourist destination is definitely a mistake.
Where Should I Stay In Jakarta For Shopping?
The Central Business District is the most suitable place for shopping tourists. In this area is the Trade Complex Plaza Semangi, which is home to dozens of shops, restaurants, and cinemas.
Although there are many high-end restaurants, you can also enjoy Indonesian street food. The hotels in the area are diverse, and you can choose a place connected to shopping malls and gyms.
There are also many serviced apartments or small studios for those who enjoy a long-term stay in Jakarta. The Public transport in the Central Business District is very good with a railway connections in and around the city. The large selection of social spots, shops, and transport make CBD a preferred place to stay for shopping maniacs.
Is It Safe To Walk Around Jakarta?
Jakarta is the capital and largest city of Indonesia, as well as the most densely populated city in Southeast Asia. The city is a center of Indonesian culture, and here you will definitely meet people of all types.
The tourists need to be very careful and watch their valuables. The city has heavy traffic of people and cars. But Jakarta still attracts tourists with its nightlife, beautiful beaches, and shopping areas.
Public transport is considered safe but crowded, and you need to watch out for pickpockets. Women can relax in Indonesia assault on women is not frequent. However, be vigilant and do not accept help from unknown men.
Is It Ok To Wear Shorts In Jakarta?
This would be a problem, depending on where you are in Jakarta. Jakarta is multicultural, but it also has its share of intolerance. If you walk on the street in tight and shorts during the day, expect to catch the attention of many people and sharp eyes among women.
You will be walking in the sea by people of different ethnicities, and some do not care, as others will be in your position. Your split look will cause excitement among the locals but be confident and don’t look back. Take a walk around Chinatown, and no one will pay attention to you unless you are naked.
How Many Days Do You Need In Jakarta?
Planning a time stay in one of Indonesia’s largest cities can be quite difficult. Jakarta is known not only for its sights but also for its large flow of people and traffic. This makes getting to tourist attractions slow, no matter how close they are to where you are staying.
If you take a few days to explore this city, it will definitely be useful for you. If you have 5 days available, it will be enough for you.
And after a week spent in Jakarta, you will be accustomed to the city noise and dynamics. Keep in mind when planning the time you will stay in the city that the flight to Indonesia is long and tedious.
Where To Stay In Jakarta For One Night?
The best place to stay overnight in Jakarta is Menteng. In the past, this area was a colonial suburb, but now it is the administrative center of Jakarta.
However, here are some of the best parks in the Indonesian capital. Public transport in the area can take you anywhere you want in Jakarta.
Menteng is also a great shopping destination with the most exclusive shopping malls. In this area, you will find great accommodation for all types – from budget to luxury places. This is also the most preferred place for tourists who have a connection to other destinations.
Where To Stay In Jakarta Backpacker
Jalan Jaksa is the most suitable area for backpackers in Jakarta. This is the place where this type of tourist has a great choice of places to stay and transport.
The place is preferred because of the hostels and budget accommodation. Near this neighborhood is the National Monument, which connects the area with the central points of Jakarta.
If you are a tourist with a backpack, you will meet many other tourists like you here. Jalan Jaksa is located near Gambir Station, which connects the city with natural places and the city center.
Where To Stay In Jakarta For Tourists?
The best area for tourists is Menteng, located in the central part of Jakarta. The main attractions National Museum, Kunstrung Art Gallery, and the National Monument are one step away from most hotels in the area.
This neighborhood is the first luxury hotel in Jakarta Coyote and today is the emblem of the city. Other accommodations are suitable for budget travelers and tourists of all types.
In the neighborhoods, Tanah Abang and CBD are also preferred for tourists. Very popular with returning visitors looking for something different in Jakarta.
Where To Stay Near Jakarta Airport?
The Airport Neighborhood is the best place to stay in Jakarta if you want to be close to the airport. The hotels are suitable for all types of travelers. In recent years, the area has been transformed mainly into a tourist area for people who have a long flight stay.
The other suitable place with easy access to the airport is Mangga Dua. The area is located near to the airport, the journey by car there costs you about 5 minutes.
The railway station connecting the airport is located in the center of Mangga Dua, and the small streets around this station offer great budget hotels. Don’t expect many middle and low-class hotels, but this area is a good option to have easy access to the airport.
Where To Stay In Jakarta For 2 Weeks?
Menteng is the best place to stay in Jakarta for a long time. Menteng is a subregion in central Jakarta and is a popular destination. It is located in the heart of the Indonesian capital and has many attractions to see.
The area offers a variety of places to stay. You can find studios, apartments, or hostels and agree on good prices for long-term stays.
Public transport can connect you to all the hotspots in Jakarta, and the sights and beautiful architecture are under your nose. Menteng has all the conditions that every tourist needs for a long stay in Jakarta.
Jakarta is one of the most interesting and dynamic places in Asia. The Indonesian capital is still revealing its tourist potential and in the near future will be a real diamond for tourism.
Choosing where to stay is a real challenge in such a metropolis. According to recent studies, it is among the most popular destinations for visiting the continent.