Where to Stay in Alicante: Best Areas and Hotels
If you’re wondering where to stay in Alicante Spain, or where is the best area to stay in Alicante, you’re in the right place. In this article, I will give an insight into the 8 best places to stay in Alicante for first-time visitors, couples, families, backpackers, all budget travelers; read on as I show you the best of Alicante.
One of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe and home to a seemingly infinite list of historical attractions, Alicant is a fantastic choice for a holiday destination.
If you’re after a beach holiday, you’ve certainly picked the right destination- the Costa Blanca is renowned for its beaches, and the best of those are listed below. Alicante is also the perfect destination for holidayers looking for history and culture, from the quaint buildings of the historic old town to the ancient origins of Albufereta beach.
Where to Stay in Alicante: Tips & Info
As with any holiday, choosing the best destination for you depends on having a clear idea of what you want from your holiday, and what your budget expectations are.
Alicante is a fairly compact city, so you aren’t missing out on one area by staying in another. You should take into account your budget requirements – i.e. you should stay away from Postiguet |Beach and head towards Elche if you are travelling on a budget – and your nightlife expectations, as if you are looking for nightlife then you should stay where the good nightlife is rather than having to travel halfway across the city at the end of the night out.
Finally, take into account the kind of surroundings you enjoy; if it’s important to you to stay in a place with an old-world feel, then you’ll want to avoid modern and built-up areas such as AliPark and San Juan, whereas if you’re more worried about practicalities, these would be good destinations for you.
Remember, Alicante is an easy city to get around and each neighbourhood has its pros and cons – it won’t ruin your trip if you don’t pick the perfect location!
Where to Stay in Alicante Spain: Top 8 Best Areas and Neighborhoods in Alicante
So, Where is the best area to stay in Alicante? In this section, we’ll help you to explore the 8 best areas to stay in Alicante are El Centro, Postiguet Beach, Cabo de las Huertas, Albufereta, San Juan Beach, El Campello, Alipark, Elche.
Where to Stay in Alicante Spain – 8 Best Areas & Neighborhoods to Stay in Alicante
- El Centro – Best Area for First Time Visitors
- Postiguet Beach – Best Area for Nightlife
- Cabo de las Huertas – Best Area for Hiking
- Albufereta – Best Area for Local Atmosphere
- San Juan Beach – Best Area for Shopping
- El Campello – Best Area for Beautiful Views
- Alipark – Best Area for Sightseeing
- Elche – Best Area for Budget Travelers
Where to Stay in Alicante Spain Map
To see more detial of Where to Stay in Alicante Map, go to the Google Map.
1. El Centro, Where to Stay in Alicante for the First Time Visitors
This is the best place to stay for a first-time visitor, as it has a lot of the city’s old-world charm and is home to many of the city’s historic buildings and cultural attractions. It has a wonderful range of restaurants for an authentic Spanish experience, and after dinner, you can wander down to the seafront for beautiful views and vibrant nightlife.
The center is only 15 minutes from the airport and most visited area of Alicante. It has a frequent bus service and fantastic tourist facilities including a tourist office and map stand near the bus terminal, making it a good destination for first-time visitors who don’t know their way around. It’s also the site of the famous Les Figueres festival in the summer, a fantastic sight.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN EL CENTRO IF:
- You like being in the old town
- You need to be close to the airport
- You want to go sightseeing
- You like eating out
- You’re looking for good nightlife
Best Hotels in El Centro:
- Hospes Amérigo is a lovely hotel in a great location, ideal for both restaurants, bars, and shops. It is close to Marina and Beach, and also easy to get around with public transport links via bus and tram. The rooms are modern and soundproofed for any noise inside the hotel and outside in the street. This 5-star hotel offers a rooftop pool with a beautiful view of the castle.
- Occidental Alicante by Barceló is a 4 star comfortable, modern, and newly decorated hotel, situated in the real heart of Alicante. Good value for money. It is within walking distance of Alicante’s old town, Santa Barbara Castle, and the Teatro Principal Theatre. You can easily travel to the airport by the bus and tram which is just outside of the hotel.
2. Postiguet Beach, Where to Stay in Alicante for Nightlife
Close to the train station and the airport, Postiguet Beach is accessible and also fantastic for nightlife – the beachfront is full of a range of bars and restaurants. The accommodation in this neighbourhood was designed with tourism in mind and is pretty luxurious, so this isn’t the neighbourhood for visitors on a budget. Despite the lively nightlife, it’s also very family-friendly, so this is a great destination if your holiday group has a mixture of ages.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN POSTIGUET BEACH IF:
- Your group has a range of ages and interests
- You enjoy nightlife
- You’re looking for upmarket accommodation
Best Hotels in Postiguest Beach Area:
- Melia Alicante is a beautiful and modern 4-star hotel, located in the middle of Postiguet Beach and Alicante Harbor. It provides an outdoor swimming pool, and rooms with a terrace, some of the rooms with a sea view. The hotel is within walking distance from Alicante Casino, yacht club, marina, Santa Barbara Castle, and Archaeology Museum.
- Eurostars Lucentum is located in central Alicante, and surrounded with bars, restaurants, cafes. It is just a few steps away from Alicante Central Market , next to La Rambla and only about 400 m to the beach. You can easily travel to the airport with a bus and tram stop right in front of the hotel.
- Pensión Alicante San Nicolás is the best budget hotel in Alicante. It is located in an amazing central location straight in the middle of the old town, and within walking distance to the Santa Bárbara Castle, marina, and El Postiguet Beach.
3. Cabo de las Huertas, Where to Stay in Alicante for Hiking
Offering breathtaking views of the Mediterranean, excellent hiking trails, and lots of beaches and coves to explore, Cabo do Los Huertas also doesn’t disappoint with its range of bars and restaurants.
This gorgeous area is a 15-minute drive east of the old town, and is home to stunning natural beaches which are much less developed than other areas in Alicante, making it a great place for those who enjoy a more natural environment – and there are even spits of coral reef.
Since it doesn’t cater to tourists as much as other areas, it’s also less crowded and more reasonably priced than other areas, and accommodation comes in the form of small Bed and Breakfasts or apartments, ideal for couples or young families. There is also a nautical sports club where you can enjoy the excitement of sailing, windsurfing and other water sports.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN CABA DE LAS HUERTAS IF:
- You enjoy hiking
- You want to try adventure sports
- You want to get away from the crowds
- You’re looking for mid-range accommodation
- You enjoy appreciating nature
Best Hotels in Cabo de las Huertas Area:
- Hotel Boutique Calas de Alicante is a beautiful boutique hotel with a nice swimming pool with sun loungers and a nice restaurant. It’s a short 10 min walk to a small center with shops and restaurants and a short bus ride to Alicante center.
- Hostal Mont Royal is the best budget accommodation in Cabo de las Huertas. It is located in a great location, just within walking distance to a lovely beach and lots of other little beach areas too. You can easily reach Alicante city center by bus. It is also 10 minutes walk away from a lovely little area with lots of bars and restaurants around.
4. Albufereta, Where to Stay in Alicante for Local Atmosphere
In the shadow of the Serra Grossa mountains, Albufereta is where Alicante has its origins – believed to have been a Roman harbor, some ancient settlements have been found here.
This is the choice of Alicante locals for a holiday destination, making it the perfect destination to enjoy a holiday atmosphere without feeling like part of the crowds of tourists.
With its characteristic fine, golden sand, Albufereta beach is also notable for its EU Blue Flag certification, meaning it is recognised for its cleanliness, safety and conservation efforts.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN ALBUFERETA IF:
- You like a mountain view
- You enjoy feeling close to history
- You enjoy a local atmosphere
- You want to get away from the crowds
Best Hotels in Albufereta Area:
- Hotel Albahia Alicante is close to La Albufereta Beach and Alicante’s Old Town.It provides a Spanish restaurant with sea views, a 9 tennis Court and free gym. You can reach the city center, beach by bus and tram nearby.
5. San Juan Beach, Where to Stay in Alicante for Shopping
This is Alicante’s most famous beach, stretching all the way from El Campello to Cabo de Los Huertos. This area is filled with apartment-style accommodation for a self-sufficient family holiday, with a choice of shops and restaurants and well connected to the rest of the city.
There are also plenty of stylish bars along the beachfront (and some on the beach itself) for a relaxing drink at the end of the day. This is the best place to stay if you like to participate in sports like volleyball, golf and windsurfing, which are all easily accessible in this neighbourhood.
YOU SHOULD STAY SAN JUAN BEACH IF:
- You prefer apartment accommodation
- You like to play sports
- You like to go shopping
- You don’t mind crowded beaches
Best Hotels in San Juan Beach Area:
- Hotel Almirante is the only hotel with direct access to Alicante’s San Juan Beach, and has a large outdoor pool. The Almirante’s Picardy restaurant serves a buffet breakfast and offers Mediterranean cuisine for lunch and dinner, including rice dishes and fish. You can enjoy a meal on the outdoor terrace, with music in the evenings. There is also a bar.
- Mi Refugio offers an outdoor swimming pool, a shared lounge and air-conditioned accommodations with a balcony and free WiFi. It is located in perfect position, it has lots of places around to eat.
6. El Campello – Best Area to Stay in Alicante for Beautiful Views
El Campello area has an upbeat vibe and it’s a great place to stay if you want a place to retreat to after experiencing the rest of what Alicante has to offer.
It provides a bit of peace and quiet as well as stunning views, and is very well connected to the rest of Alicante – so if you want to relax away from the city centre after a day of soaking up the culture and then head back to the city for a night of dancing, this is a great place to do it.
It’s also home to the gorgeous Muchavista beach, and a few of its own historical sites – so you won’t run out of things to do if you don’t feel like travelling into the city.
YOU SHOULD STAY EL CAMPELLO IF:
- You don’t want to stay in the main city
- You don’t want to have to travel every day
- You want easy access to the main city
- You enjoy beautiful views
- You want to sunbathe on the beach
Best Hotels in El Campello Area:
- Ahoy Apartments provides guests with a terrace, a seating area, a satellite flat-screen TV, a fully equipped kitchen with a dishwasher and a microwave, and a private bathroom with a shower and a hairdryer. A fridge, an oven, and a toaster are also provided, as well as a kettle and a coffee machine. It is located in El Campello, 400 m from Carrer La Mar Beach, and provides air-conditioned accommodations with free WiFi, as well as access to an outdoor swimming pool and a children’s playground.
- Sercotel Hotel Bonalba Alicante 4*S is in a quiet area of Mutxamel, 4.9 mi from Campello’s beaches and 10 minutes’ drive from central Alicante and its port. The hotel features a spa and a large outdoor pool set in tropical gardens.The spacious rooms at the Hotel Bonalba Alicante have a private terrace, flat-screen satellite TV and free wired internet access.
- Hostal12 is located in El Campello, 300 m from Carrer La Mar Beach, Hostal12 features rooms with air conditioning and free WiFi. The hotel has family rooms. At the hotel, the rooms are fitted with a wardrobe, a flat-screen TV and a private bathroom. All rooms will provide guests with a fridge. Guests at Hostal12 will be able to enjoy activities in and around El Campello, like fishing.
7. Alipark, Where to Stay in Alicante for Sightseeing
An up-and-coming neighbourhood in Alicante, Alipark is a modern area which contains the train station and is very convenient as a base from which to explore the rest of the city.
This is a relatively quiet neighbourhood that’s less popular with tourists, so it’s a great place to stay if you don’t mind more modern surroundings and want to get away from the hectic atmosphere of central Alicante.
Alipark also boasts a tranquil green park which is a fantastic destination for a picnic without getting covered in sand, or simply to while away an afternoon with a book or some friends.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN ALIPARK IF:
- You don’t mind modern surroundings
- You want to get away from the crowds
- You want to be near the train station
- You like to be near green spaces
- You want to go sightseeing without staying in the centre
Best Hotels in Alipark Area:
- La City Estación is located opposite the train station in the center of Alicante, 10 minutes’ walk from the marina and Canalejas Park. It offers free Wi-Fi and rooms with satellite TV. All rooms at La City Estación are soundproofed and have both air conditioning and central heating. They come with a private bathroom with hairdryer, and there is also a safety deposit box and work desk in each room
8. Elche – Best Area to Stay in Alicante for Budget Travelers
Elche is the best place to stay in Alicante on a budget. With a local atmosphere, only a short distance from the city centre, and offering affordable accommodation and food, this is the ideal neighbourhood for backpackers looking to meet up with other travellers (or just anyone travelling on a shoestring).
It’s an often missed destination, so it’s also a good choice if you want easy access to the historical and cultural attractions of the city centre with less of the tourist hustle and bustle.
It’s also not without its own historical attractions, as it’s home to UNESCO world heritage site the Palmeral of Elche, where over 200,000 palm trees grow.
YOU SHOULD STAY IN ELCHE IF:
- You’re travelling on a budget
- You want to meet other travellers
- You want to stay away from tourist crowds
- You’re interested in cultural attractions
Best Hotels in Elche Area:
- Huerto del Cura has a unique location within the Elche’s Palmeral palm tree gardens, a UNESCO World Heritage Site. The hotel offers an outdoor swimming pool and a sauna. The low-rise Huerto del Cura buildings are surrounded by lush gardens. Rooms include free WiFi and air conditioning.
- Tryp Ciudad de Elche Hotel is located in central Elche, this modern hotel offers stylish, spacious rooms with free Wi-Fi, air conditioning and satellite TV. Elche’s Grand Theater and Town Hall are both just 200 m away. The Tryp Ciudad de Elche offers a varied buffet breakfast each morning. You can relax with a drink in the hotel’s lounge bar.
- Campanile Hotel Elche is 3.2 km from the center of Elche and a 15-minute drive from Alicante Airport. This hotel features a terrace and free Wi-Fi access throughout. The hotel has free parking and easy access to the A7 Highway, which connects Elche to Alicante in 25 minutes. The Elche Palm Grove, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, is a 10-minute drive away.
- Where to Stay in Mallorca Spain
- Where To Stay In Cordoba Spain
- Where to Stay in Gran Canaria
- Best Time to Visit Spain
- Where to Stay in Formentera Spain
- Where To Stay In Lanzarote Spain: Best Area & Hotel Travel Guide
- Where to Stay in Fuerteventura Spain: Best Area & Hotel Travel Guide
- Where to Stay in Bilbao, Spain: Best Area & Hotel Travel Guide
- Where to Stay in Ibiza, Spain: Best Area & Hotel Travel Guide
- Where to Stay in Seville Spain: Best Area & Hotel Travel Guide
Where To Stay In Alicante For Families?
The whole region is set up to support tourism, making it a great and well-service destination for any type of holiday; Alicante is full of beaches and seaside fun for children as well as family-friendly restaurants;
however, Calpe is a particularly popular destination because of its relaxed atmosphere and safe, shallow waters ideal for young families.
Where To Stay In Alicante For Couples?
Staying in the historic centre of Alicante will lend an old-world romance to your holiday.
Full of quaint buildings and stunning views, plus only a short walk away from romantic evenings on the beach, El Centro is a great destination for couples.
Where To Stay In Alicante For Nightlife?
The best nightlife in Alicante can be found in the summer, and the best places to stay in are Benidorm and Alicante City; the most popular spots are the historical centre and the harbour district.
Staying near Postigues beach is also an excellent destination for the best nightlife in Alicante.
Where To Stay In Alicante For Beach?
Everywhere along the coast here is a wonderful destination for a beach holiday; the coast here takes the name of Costa Blanca – or white coast – due to its white sandy beaches.
Cabo de Las Huertas has many beautiful coves and beaches which are less developed than others, or you can head to La Grenadella, which has twice been voted Spain’s best beach.
Is Alicante A Good Holiday Destination?
Alicante is a fantastic holiday destination. It is set up to cater to tourists, filled with every type of hotel, plenty of shops and of course its famous white sand beaches.
From a fun-filled family holiday to a couples’ getaway, Alicante will keep everyone happy.
Is Alicante Worth Visiting?
Alicant is famous for its white sand beaches, stunning views and historical landmarks and archaeological interest – this beautiful Spanish city truly has something for everyone and is truly a great holiday destination.
Is Alicante Cheap For A Holiday?
Because Alicante is one of the most popular tourist destinations not only in Spain but in Europe, there is a fantastic array of deals on flights, accommodation and all-inclusive packages available for the city that make it an affordable holiday destination.
Is Alicante Safe?
As with any tourist city, you will be at risk for petty crimes such as bag snatching and pickpocketing.
You should also avoid walking around dark or empty streets at night as there is a risk of mugging – however, this risk is not any more significant than it would be in another big city.
How Do You Get Around Alicante?
It’s easy to get around Alicante using public transport. It is a relatively compact city, with all its major attractions essentially within walking distance of each other;
however, should you need to get to other parts of the city there is a reliable bus and tram service which covers the whole city, as well as special tourist trams.
Best 5 Star Hotels in Alicante Spain
If you still can’t decide which area of the lovely Alicante to stay in, perhaps a quick look at the top hotels will help you choose. Here are our top picks of 5 and 4-star hotels in Alicante for a truly wonderful visit to the city.
Set in a converted 19th-century convent, Hospes Amerigo is just a minute’s walk from Postiguet beach and right in the heart of Alicante’s old town.
Featuring spacious rooms with huge windows to let in the Spanish sunshine. Free for guests is the use of the rooftop spa, which looks out over Alicante Cathedral and Santa Barbara castle. The spa contains a swimming pool, gym, and sauna for the ultimate relaxing experience.
There is also a stylish rooftop lounge bar where guests can unwind after a long day of exploring Alicante.
Featuring chic modern interior design against the traditional beauty of the building, this hotel is a beautiful blend of old and new and of luxury and comfort.
Another stunning five-star hotel in the Postiguet neighborhood (we did say this was the place for luxury!) is the Melia Alicante, sitting snugly halfway between Alicante HArbour and Postiguet Beach.
Every room has a balcony, with some offering stunning sea views and others just the perfect spot to enjoy a book in the sun.
A great choice for a family trip, the Melia Alicante is minutes away from the Archaeology Museum and the Santa Barbara Castle, both great family days out, and the hotel runs a children’s club and poolside snack bar throughout the summer – as well as having a stylish cocktail bar and restaurant to enjoy in the evening.
If you’re looking for a more glamorous ‘no-kids-allowed’ trip, the Melia also offers express check-in and check out as well as a private pool and luxury facilities, so you can cut out the stress and just get straight to a stress-free holiday – this five-star destination has something for everyone.
Best 4 Star Hotels in Alicante Spain
Set between Postiguet Beach and Alicante Marina with lovely views of the Mediterranean, Spa Porta Maris is 100 meters from Alicante’s historic center. Just a 15-minute drive from the airport and easily accessible by tram and train, Spa Portis Maris is a great place to stay to explore the rest of Alicante.
Each air-conditioned room has a private terrace, flat-screen TV, and offers views of the marina or Alicante Bay. Each suite room also has a lounge.
The hotel also boasts a gym and a spa featuring a heated pool, massages, and body and face treatments.
A buffet breakfast is served with views of Alicante’s bay, and evening restaurant The Marabierta Restaurant, features gorgeous views of the sea and harbor, serving traditional Mediterranean dishes daily.
Under a mile from Postiguet Beach and Santa Bárbara Castle, this chic hotel in the center of Alicante offers stylish modern rooms complete with a flat-screen tv – and some rooms also offer a relaxing hydromassage shower and bath.
The buffet breakfast is available on the terrace, and the evening restaurant offers a range of Mediterranean cuisine. A relaxed atmosphere bar is also available, so you can end your evening in style with a cocktail.
To top up your well-being and relaxation, the hotel also features a fully equipped gym and sauna, plus a beautifully furnished sun terrace where guests can lie back with a book.Set in Alicante’s commercial district, the Eurostars Centrum is easily accessible by car and only a fifteen-minute drive from the airport, as well as being within walking distance of the city’s train and bus stations so you can explore the rest of what Alicante has to offer.
Alicante is a fantastic destination for your holiday. Whether you’re looking for a family-friendly resort, a chance to absorb some culture and history in the sun or a weekend of dancing the night away – Alicante has something for you.